Thursday, December 1, 2011

Smile. Laugh. Be happy. Be humble.

I was really taken aback when I mistakenly address a "Datuk" as "Madam". Got stern warning. Well, whatever! At first I had the intention to ask this particular Datuk about something then when she replied me with warning tone, ah.. forget about it. 

That's the thing in life .. Be it you are a Datuk/Datin/...., what's so big deal about it? Okie maybe it's really a big deal. But in 21st century, is it still a big deal? It seems like anyone and everyone can be Datuk easily. When you was born in this world, people also call you by your name till the day before you got your title "Datuk" and then you start insisting everyone to call you Datuk. No matter what, you will still grow old and die what...So what's the big deal with insisting people calling you "Datuk" - unfriendly faces, disgust with students and etc etc? 

Okie..I'm from UKM and I know people don't look high upon UKM students and neither do I because throughout my years of studying... people have been telling us the same thing that they look down on us. SO why bother. I didn't quit studying..I will persevere till the end. Thanks to those who always make our life so miserable. My goal is just to grad, practice and earn money. Of course.. be happy with what I do. Guess that's what really matters in the end. After all that, then I can start thinking of other things... like maybe joining human rights body and etc. See how the wave goes. 

When you are nobody, you are really nobody. I have to learn the hard way in many ways... It's not like anyone is there to help me but it's all part and parcel of learning. As for some things in life, we ought to learn it through our own experience. I don't have relatives who are Datuk/Datin... Perhaps if you do, your life will be easier or maybe more miserable. Ha ha. LIfe is short lah. Be happy and humble. =) And people will remember you for life =) Not only that, you will live satisfying life too! =) 

Again... what really makes me happy these few days was the fact that I attended a charity dinner last week and Marina Mahathir was there. I didn't really know that she was coming. Guess what? When I first approach her to snap photo, she agreed right away with her smiley look. Okieeee.. I thought, "That's something unusual for a Datuk." 

I've always perceived a Datuk as someone who never smile - arrogant - usually do something nice for some particular reason that will only benefit them and etc etc.. Most often than not, they always prove me right - which is quite unfortunate. 

Well then, let me continue with Marina..Ok her full name would be Datin Paduka Marina Mahathir. Sounds grand lah her title. That time, the lights are so dim ..and the pictures I took with her end up so dark and you can't see who's in the photo. THen I adjusted the mode in my phone but still the picture resulted the same. Oh ya! Before that, I took some time to adjust and she waited patiently. It's quite normal if she would've shown agitated or annoying face but she didn't. THat day itself, I took 4-5 photos with her but only 1 photo is clear. Even then, she smile just the same in all the photos. I mean if we were to swap position, I would've ask, "Ai yo..take so many pics also take cukup ka..?" None of that sort happened. She's as polite and as smiley as ever. That's why I have such beautiful memory of her although she don't even remember my existence already..ha ha.

You know the way she smiles.. chinese would've said, "You smile like you pick up gold from somewhere..." No big deal snapping photos with  people who are not Datuks/Datins but she did agree anyway and smile all the same =) While I was waiting for my turn to snap photo with her AGAIN, I watched as others talk to her..take turn to snap photo with her and etc. One of the many things that I like...

- She smile to everyone and friendly to all - be it you are lady/man, be it you are chinese/indian/malay/mat salleh/etc etc...( That's what I call 1 MALAYSIA spirit)

There's FRIENDLY AND HAPPY ATMOSPHERE surrounding her =)) 

Then I shake hand and thank her before I leave. 

She's really DIFFERENT. Different in a good way.

Back to the unfriendly Datuk that I met today... I lose my respect altogether for her although she's quite well known. So what. In the end of the day, she left me real bad impression about her. Yes I am bothered by it but today I learn..

TITLE IS SO IMPORTANT TO SOME PEOPLE THAT THEY FORGOT THE VERY BASIC OF HUMANITY.

When I finally graduate and practice.. I would like to keep this close to my heart which is to be happy and humble always =) Happy doesn't mean literally happy all the time. That's important also but what's more important is the joy of the Lord in us that enable us to be JOYFUL in the midst of SORROW. 

To be able to laugh and smile always like Datin Paduka Marina Mahathir, it's indeed a gift. I've met people who don't know how to laugh. Really. Isn't it sad? No wonder those who don't know how to smile/laugh easily, they don't like to snap photos because all will turn out ugly - CHARCOAL FACE. They stuck in their own world facebooking/doing all the nonsensical stuff till they lost touch how to communicate in the REAL WORLD. I really feel sad for these people.

If you can laugh, laugh always. It's a gift. I love laughing moments with my friends and I remember those moments when we can laugh for half an hour or more. Beautiful =) 

Smile. Laugh. Be happy. Be humble. God bless. May God's joy, peace, love, grace and mercy always envelope you =)

No comments:

Post a Comment